Sprouting is an MIT-based ed-tech startup. Their product is Microconcept centered STEM curriculum for teachers in Puerto Rican schools. Their novel method increases class attendance and participation, and decreases time taken to prepare lessons.

Sprouting wanted a digital interface to collect sign-ups from schools for their pilot program in a way which caters to their bilingual English/Spanish speaking audience. They also needed help scoping out the product requirements.


My responsibilities included Mobile UX Designer, Brand Identity Designer, Product Designer and Web Developer. I contributed to the design direction of the website and built the prototype. I conducted user interviews, collected feedback, and helped influence requirements for the product and roadmap. I created mockups for the product mobile app. I also contributed to the logo and brand identity of the company.

From the results of our user interviews, we came up with three core solutions to our users' pain points. I compiled these assets into a graphic that conveys the value proposition of the product.

For the mobile app version of the product, I created several designs in Figma as well as fully custom icons and graphics. I collected user feedback to influence changes and subsequently implemented a sophisticated mockup and prototype. Below are a few of the UI screens.

Results and Impact

Since launch, several pilot program sign-ups from schools have been collected, which was facilitated by the landing page that I designed. As a team we pitched the website, branding, and other product design components to an audience of venture capitalists, investors, MIT graduate students and professors. A hackathon and other successful company initiatives have been advertised through the site. The team and several users of the Sprouting program have praised our design.


The challenge of this project was to verify seamless compatibility between English and Spanish versions of the site, to ensure that the target users would have a great experience. This was achieved by collecting several rounds of iterative feedback from user interviews.

I learned the importance of cross-functional compatibility throughout this project, as it was truly valuable to be able to learn about creating a great UX experience which diverse users from outside of a typical US audience can enjoy.